Employment Counselor- Part Time
Takoda Institute of Higher Education, a Division of American Indian OIC
1845 East Franklin Ave Minneapolis, MN 55404
About American Indian OIC and Takoda Institute:
AIOIC offers education, training and employment services. Our education services include an onsite contract-alternative high school with the Minneapolis Public School District as well as an Adult Basic Education/GED program. Our training is offered through Takoda Institute of Higher Education, our accredited, post-secondary school that provides certified, short-term training in IT, and business/ medical administration programs. For employment services, we operate a Minnesota Family Investment Program, Minneapolis Works Program, and a Workforce Investment Program. The Takoda Group provides job placement for AIOIC’s training graduates. aioic.org, www.takoda.aioic.edu
Position Overview: In this position you will work with current students and graduates in securing employment in their field of study. You will be responsible for building strong relationships with employers and potential internship/externship sites, to help bring about career opportunities for our students. You will work with a diverse population and be responsible for generating job leads and presenting our graduates’ resumes to potential employers. Part of your responsibilities will include conducting weekly workshops for our students to assist them with their job search, resume writing, and interviewing techniques. In addition, you will provide one-on-one career guidance and professional development to students and graduates.
Reports to: Director of Takoda Institute
• Provides one-on-one coaching to Takoda certificate graduates and Takoda short term course completers in all aspects of their job search initiatives including personal marketing, interview skills and resume writing.
• Participates and provides support in student focused Career Services events and seminars.
• Assist with school related activities such as graduation ceremonies, new student orientation, program advisory committees, etc.
• Interviews students and graduates to assist in strategizing for their professional job search.
• Provides excellent customer service to students, graduates and employers.
• Maintains student information files in accordance with all school and company policies and procedures, all applicable federal, state regulations and all accrediting agencies standards and requirements.
• Assists in the enrollment process by testing incoming students using the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) and helping with the completion of enrollment paperwork.
• Instructs upcoming graduates in the Professional Development course on soft skills and job readiness.
• Assist in the ongoing growth of the Learning Resource Center, utilizing state, county, organizational resources to build and maintain use.
• Initiates, develops and manages business partnerships with employers to establish career and internship opportunity leads and networking opportunities for Takoda recent graduates, alumni and current students.
• Actively and routinely seeks employer feedback and researches industry trends; builds and maintains strong relationships.
• Coordinates employer visits, on-campus recruiting events, job fairs, networking events and career development workshops.
• Other Duties as assigned
• Associate degree ok, Bachelor degree preferred
• Global Career Development Facilitator (GCDF) certified preferred
• 1-2 years of related experience- recruiting, staffing, business to business sales, career coaching.
• Ability to prioritize and work with minimal supervision, make sound judgments and take initiative to make decisions/choices
• Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication and team-building skills
• Desire to help others be successful in finding employment, utilizing coaching and guidance skills to students and graduates
Strong ability to solve problems and develop creative solutions based on the needs of the organization and the students
• Ability to adapt in changing conditions • Excellent customer service skills; to include the ability to handle interruptions and frequent stopping and starting of work to assist with walk-in clients, students and members of the organization, ability to effectively follow up and follow through with graduates, employers and clients
• Experience working with clients/customers/students representing multiple stages of life and diverse backgrounds/experiences
• Strong internet search and networking skills; proficiency in Microsoft Office and social networks Additional
Opportunities with role: Short Term Course Design and Instructor
American Indian OIC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and will not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, religion, national origin or sex in violation of Title VII. AIOIC prohibits discrimination against employees or applicants for employment on any legally-recognized basis (“protected class”) including, but not limited to: veteran status, uniform service member status, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other protected class under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants should send their resume and an optional cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.